About Lean Six Sigma Novel Idea
About Novel Idea
Novel Idea was established in 2003, with a view to assisting businesses to improve and innovate within their own organisation by helping them to improve efficiency – in other words, to help them do things right – as well as effectiveness, so that they also do the right things.
We use different methodologies at different stages of the Business Improvement and Business Innovation processes. The Methodologies we use are the Lean Six Sigma Process Improvement Methodologies – DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control) Lean Sigma and Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) for New Product, Process of Technology Design. We also utilise Strategic Management Methodologies (Strategy, Balance Scorecards, Change and Leadership Management), and integrate best practices linked to ISO and Industry 4.1 into improvements.
We focus on experiential learning – All our programmes give you the experience of application and you learn by doing. We are proud to say that all our clients come from ’word of mouth’, along with existing belts that progress in their career and entrust us with their new journey of operational excellence.
We believe that the power of Improvement, Innovation, Problem Solving and Execution lies in the correct application of the Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Methodology, the depth and breath of knowledge gained and the riqour it is applied with. This is what delivers the 100% success rate we are proud to provide in our journeys.
remember that when you are certified, we will forever change the way you work for the better!
Novel idea is dedicated to becoming the best choice for assisting Blue Chip companies in the execution of their vision, by making full use of all opportunities in order to achieve a simple, structured and focused approach. This will help them to achieve a shift in capability improvement, in order to become World Class.
Novel Idea’s mission is to serve businesses by guiding them towards sustained problem-solving, improvement, innovation and execution of their strategic effectiveness along with the efficiency of aligned processes, products, technologies and services, in the shortest time possible. Our mission is also to enable our clients to become self-sufficient.
Tilla van der Walt
Tilla van der Walt is the Owner and CEO of Novel Idea International
She holds the following qualifications:
- MBA | Newport University
- MDP Business | University of Pretoria
- BA Phycology | University of Pretoria
Tilla was part of the first 3M SA Six Sigma Team. Lean Six Sigma was launched internationally to 220 subsidiaries and 75 000 employees. Tilla was part of the team that launched Six Sigma in South Africa in 2001. She had a double role, and was one of very few individuals in 3M that was double-accredited as Lean Six Sigma Accredited Coach and Trainer and Lean Six Sigma Black Belt.
During her corporate career, she has held a variety of Senior Leadership positions, where her ability to execute is what differentiated her. Following a request By SAB Miller, she launched her own business and Novel Idea was born.
Tilla’s passion for transforming individuals is what differentiates Novel Idea from its competitors. Her focus is on constantly improving Novel Idea’s offerings, with the goal of developing quality material instead of simply quantity.
She understands that the ability to develop a connected approach is what enables learners to connect the dots.
All Novel Idea experiential learning belts deliver a case study that addresses the theory, tools and principles, as well as the methodology, in a single example during this training process.
In 22 years and more than a 1000 case studies, all teams have delivered on the challenging outcome in the learning process.
The above will assist companies or individuals on their journey of applying Six Sigma principles to a work-related improvement project. In fact, Novel Idea believes that it will take no more than two such projects to deliver a permanent change to how you will work!
We do realise that while recognition should be given to all individuals in the learning process, true mastery must be celebrated, and once you reach the point where you can ‘connect the dots’, you will be empowered to fly.
Double Accredited in Lean Six Sigma as a Master Black Belt.
Double Accredited in Lean Six Sigma as a Black Belt.
“I come from a sales and marketing management background in the healthcare industry, and if you had asked me what my next job would be, I would have most probably answered ‘General Manager of a healthcare company’. Today, I can work in any country, any industry, any business and any process, and still have the confidence that I can guarantee success in any project or deployment undertaken.”
Why Novel Idea
- We EXECUTE through enabling our clients to do it for themselves.
- We have the KNOW HOW through a variety of deployment models and applications globally, in multiple industries.
- We teach APPLICATION as well as CRITICAL THINKING, and prove this already in the training process.
- We have a CREDIBLE track record of success – through your success, our success is guaranteed.
- We are ACTIVELY involved and do the work ourselves.
- We are the local provider of choice for GLOBAL companies like Caterpillar and Honeywell, as well as global consultancies like Six Winners and SBTI.
- We have APPLICATION experience across all types of projects, and from every possible industry.
- We deliver on our PROMISES.
- We teach APPLICATION, APPLICATION, APPLICATION for every step of your journey.
- We do what is needed when it is needed.
- We EMPOWER teams to execute.
- We help teams to lead through INFLUENCE, PERSUASION, CRITICAL THINKING, CONFLICT RESOLUTION and many other soft skills that are necessary to succeed.
- Novel Idea’s offering contains all the key components to ensure the successful initiation and deployment and acceleration of Lean Six Sigmabased business improvement initiatives.
- Novel Idea’s offering is packaged in a manner that fits your individual organisation’s needs. Its training is complete, yet simple.
- Novel Idea takes your initiative from the beginning all the way down the road to sustained success, by offering ongoing coaching and assessment
- Real life projects are used during training to allow accelerated understanding of the Lean Six Sigma methodology and project results.
- Lean Six Sigma Interest group workshops on Six Sigma concepts, as well as advanced data needs and analyses.
- Network capabilities with existing Lean Six Sigma users.
- Novel Idea has a 20-year track record of delivering on all our promises.
- Novel Idea has extensive experience in South Africa as well as internationally. The Novel Idea curriculum has been favourably evaluated by multi-national organisations, such as Honeywell, Barloworld Caterpillar, Schneider Electrical and Nestle, for use by their affiliates in South Africa. This confirms the international standard of the curriculum, as well as the quality of the material.
- Novel Idea has been selected by a global business partner to do all their advanced Lean Six Sigma work for the EFES group in Russia; this includes the Senior Management Team, as well as teams going through a world-class journey of execution on deliverables. Novel Idea was also awarded the De Beers Ttender and completed Deployment and Champion workshops for all plants in the De Beers Group.
- Novel Idea has an exceptional training and certification record. For Novel Idea, it is all about quality, rather than
- Our facilitators are double-accredited as Master Black Belt and Black Belts, with extensive experience in application in a variety of industries and deployments in several countries.
- Novel Idea continuously develops its material and constantly stays abreast of the latest developments. Some of the new programmes or content includes the Ultimate Improvement Cycle, Hoshin-Kanri and Balance Score Cards, aligned with Goal Trees.
- Novel Idea has developed a full solution – called NI3 & E (Novel Idea Improvement, Innovation and Execution) that assists companies on their journey towards becoming a world class organisation.
- Novel Idea has trained over 10 500 people in various aspects of the Lean Six Sigma journey.
- Novel Idea is the global Lean Six Sigma provider for two international Lean Consultancy groups.
- Novel Idea has confidence that the training material will satisfy the requirements of the new ISO 13053
- Novel Idea’s Master Black Belt and Yellow Belt programmes are totally different from any curriculums that are available to be bought. They have been developed over a period of years to deliver the right outcomes –
for Master Black Belts this would be a successful deployment, while for Yellow Belts, it would be a problem solved.
- Novel Idea has provided Six Sigma training in a number of countries in Africa, as well as Russia, and has been used as a local provider for multinational companies such as SAB Miller. Novel Idea has also provided training for representatives of companies such as Indwe Risk Management, Vodacom, Merchants, ABSA, FNB and many more. It is therefore clear that Novel Idea is experienced in high volume, transactional (non-manufacturing) and process-based
- Novel Idea is registered with the Service SETA as a provider. Novel Idea offers a National Certificate in Generic Management, as well as two learning programmes. The benefit is that Novel Idea has the flexibility to customise learning material for a client, without scrutiny by international franchising companies or delivery partners such as universities. These learning programmes can be funded under the MCEP plan from the DTI, for South African companies.
- Novel Idea has an extensive quality management system (QMS) of ongoing evaluation and continuous improvement. This QMS is also audited by the SETA, as part of our accreditation as a training provider.
- Audits are available for submission if required.
- Novel Idea’s Executive Director, Tilla van der Walt, is an accredited assessor for achieving formal qualifications in line with the requirements of SAQA. You can therefore obtain formal credits toward qualifications if you attend the Novel Idea programmes.
- The Novel Idea trainers are qualified and accredited themselves, which provides an exceptional level of training. Novel Idea also utilises a network of specialists with industry experience to add value to the training.
- Novel Idea follows a methodology consisting of the following steps: Training, Application, Review and Certification (TARC). Novel Idea develops learning and application around Bloom’s Taxonomy. This methods developed by Benjamin Bloom categorize the levels of reasoning skills that students use for active learning. Novel Ideas used the Blooms Taxonomy methods to classify educational learning objectives into levels of complexity, specificity and mastering. Novel Ideas Training, Application, Review and Certification process (Novel Idea TARC) is unique and used to create learning content, application, review through assessment and certification that is aligned to Bloom’s Taxonomy.
- To accelerate Strategic Alignment and Acceleration of actions through projects, by the enablement of eExecutive involvement in the organisation, causes a culture shift in the business itself. It is therefore critical that a formal project management approach is followed. As can be seen, Novel Idea works extensively with large organisations as a deployment partner, providing evidence of the ability to manage these projects.
- Novel Idea also provides a bridging programme that facilitates moving from Green Belt level to Black Belt level.
- Novel Idea has created a collaborative forum for Six Sigma users that facilitates networking and interaction between Six Sigma professionals.
- Novel Idea’s CEO and founder is a Certified Coach, Master Black Belt and Trainer, as well as a Certified Black Belt in Lean Six Sigma, and is actively involved.